Dr. Foo Chiang LEE
Qualifications: MBBS (Malaya), FRACS
Dr Foo Chiang LEE
Contributing Author, Textbook of Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery,
2nd Ed, 2009, Springer (Eds: P. Gildenberg, R. Tasker and A. Lozano)
Member of Organizing Committee,
3rd Annual Conference of the International Association of Neurorestoratology (IANR),
Beijing April 2010 (http://www.ianr.org.cn/English/index.asp)
Dr. Lee Foo Chiang is currently a full time Senior Consultant Neurosurgeon at Sunway Medical Centre. He graduated from the University of Malaya, Faculty of Medicine with Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) in 1977. He joined the Department of Neurosurgery, Institute of Neuroscience, General Hospital Kuala Lumpur in 1978. From 1981 to 1985 he underwent Neurosurgery Fellowship Training of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons at the Royal Adelaide Hospital and Adelaide Children’s Hospital, South Australia and was awarded Fellowship of Royal College of Surgeons in Neurosurgery (FRACS-Neurosurgery) in 1985.
Upon return to Malaysia in 1985, he held the position of Consultant Neurosurgeon at the Department of Neurosurgery, Institute of Neuroscience, General Hospital Kuala Lumpur until 1988 when he commenced private practice as Consultant Neurosurgeon in various premier private hospitals in the capital city of Kuala Lumpur, including Subang Jaya Medical Centre (now renamed Sime Darby Medical Centre), Tung Shin Hospital, Tawakal Specialist Hospital and Sentosa Medical Centre. In December 1999, he was among the pioneer doctors at Sunway Medical Centre, the tertiary care hospital which he helped to plan and get started.
Over the last 31 years of his Neurosurgical career, he has been to Karolinska Hospital, Stockholm; University of Southern California Medical Centre, Los Angeles; Pitié-Salpêtrière Hospital, Paris; Mannheim Hospital; University of Heidelberg; Free Berlin University; University of Dusseldorf, Germany; Queen Elizabeth Hospital (QEH) Hong Kong; and many hospitals in China e.g. Tiantan Hospital; Beijing Neurological Institute; Shanghai Huashan Hospital; in various capacities including visiting fellow or exchange scholar.
His works on movement disorder surgery (DBS) have been presented in international meetings in Vienna, Amsterdam, and Beijing. He has been a congress speaker for ASEAN Congress of Neurosurgery, as well as national Neurosurgery meetings, and Academy of Medicine of Malaysia meeting. He attends regularly international meetings like the Congress of Neurosurgery USA, ASIAN Congress of Neurosurgery, European and World Stereotactic and Functional meetings. He is also involved in post-graduate teaching and has been invited as a speaker for the Education Course November 2009 for Master of Neurosurgery (MS-Neurosurgery), University Sains Malaysia.
He is an active member of Australasian College of Surgeons, Congress of Neurosurgery USA, World Society of Functional and Stereotactic Neurosurgery and Neurosurgical Association Malaysia.
He is a contributing author for the Textbook of Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery by Springer, 2nd Edition 2009, and Edited by Gildenberg P, Tasker R, and Lozano A.
Apart from routine Neurosurgery, his special clinical interests include:
- Cerebrovascular Surgery including cerebral revascularization (EC/IC Bypass) for cerebral occlusive strokes, Moya-Moya disease using the latest Indocyanine Green ICG Vascular Fluorescence
- Functional Neurosurgery for movement disorders like Deep Brain Stimulation for Parkinson’s Disease which he introduced into Malaysia together with fellow Functional Neurosurgery team members, Neurosurgeon Dr. C.P. Chee and Neurologist Dr. M.K. Lee in 2003 with the help of Professor Jamie Henderson of Cleveland Clinic USA.
- Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery: Stereotactic Image Guided Neurosurgery and Frame based Surgery which he pioneered in early 1990s in the country.
- Fluorescence Guided Tumour resection with 5- Amino-Levulinic Acid (5 ALA), a first among private hospitals in Malaysia.
- Motion Preservation Spine Surgery: He is a leading surgeon employing cervical arthroplasty and other minimally invasive spine surgeries.
- Clinical Experimental Research Treatment of Neuro degenerative disorders and strokes using Stem Cells as a leading member of the Neural Transplant Team comprising Drs. F.C. Lee, C.P. Chee and M.K. Lee, who were also co-signatories of the 2008 Beijing Declaration on Neurorestoratology.